Saturday 12 January 2013

no lens to envy

I have been wanting to get my Holga pinhole camera out for a while and just re-acquaint myself with what it does. While I was waiting I took a shot with my digital camera to 'get an idea' of the conditions. As I have said before, digital just doesn't cope with high contrast situations like sunlight.


So today I got the film developed and scanned it, not bad and perhaps I need to fiddle with the colours more if I wanted to have it mounted, but as its just an experiment, I left it a bit 'cyan'.



Not bad considering all things.

I like that the sun can be seen in the clouds and isn't just a wash out. Actually there is more shadow details there too.

Its quite wide angle too, especially when you compare it to the digital.

There is a lot of 'flare' in the image, which clearly can't be lens flare (it is a pinhole camera after all) so I put that down to internal reflections in the camera (of which on inspection of the plastic interior seems to be a reasonable guess).

Not bad for a bit of fun

2 comments:

Jao van de Lagemaat said...

Looks like a lot of fun indeed and not a bad image even with the flare/reflections.

Charles Maclauchlan said...

very nice. I like a lot of things about the pinhole image. It's funny how sun+digital creates such a signature image. I'me seeing it more and more in TV shows. A washed out white blob surrounded by impossible yellow and /or orange areas.

If the pinhole image was at dawn then the sky color you chose here is probably very much what it actually looked like.