Thursday 27 September 2012

the rarest rose

it would seem unlikely that lyrics by Annie Lennox for an adaptation of Bram Stokers Dracula could so neatly sum up my feelings and my situation. Much like that character I fell in love with a most preciously beautiful woman and well before either of us was ready she was taken from me (and her from this world) suddenly. My darling wife and I shared a love of almost everything in life. Perhaps strongest was our shared love of the outdoors, we have travelled to, hiked and skiied many places together since we met.

There can be no other woman on this planet who could possibly be such a perfect match for me, or (as it seemed) me for her. She was to me the rarest rose that ever deigned to bloom.



Come into these arms again
and lay your body down
The rhythm of this trembling heart
is beating like a drum
It beats for you it bleeds for you
it knows not how it sounds
For it is the drum of drums
it is the song of songs


Once I had the rarest rose
that ever deemed to bloom
Cruel winter chilled the bud
and stole my flower too soon
Oh loneliness Oh hopelessness
to search the ends of time
For there is in all the world
no greater love than mine.


Let me be the only one 
to keep you from the cold 
Now the floor of heaven is laid 
the stars are bright as gold
They shine for you they shine for you
they burn for all to see 
Come into these arms again 
and set this spirit free



Even though she is now taken from this world, she will be forever in my heart








No comments: