Sunday 5 August 2012

back yard: moths eggs

Was out hanging the washing this morning and noticed (what is to me here in Australia again) a common sight. I post this sort of thing as I know readers in the Northern parts of the Northern Hemisphere will perhaps think its as wonderfully different as I did the everyday things when I was living in Finland.



They are laid out in a line and alternated left and right on their little stalk.



Zooming in a little closer on that image you can see that the eggs are each suspended on a fine strong thread.


Its a cunning strategy to keep their eggs safe from predators (like ants) but perhaps not safe from clothes being hung on (other people's) washing lines.

I'd be grateful if anyone out there can clear up exactly which eggs these are.

No comments: